Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Hamilton man charged with assaulting trooper
editor's pick alert

Hamilton man charged with assaulting trooper

Police light

A Hamilton man was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly threatened a Montana Highway Patrol Trooper with a knife.

Brent Andrew Bosen appeared Friday before Ravalli County Justice Jim Bailey on felony charges of assault with a weapon and assault on a peace officer. Bosen also faces misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest, obstructing a peace officer and disorderly conduct.

Bosen refused to go through the booking process. Authorities were unable to provide an age. He appeared before the judge in his street clothes in a video arraignment.

According to the charging affidavit, a Montana Highway Patrol trooper was in the middle of a traffic stop on U.S. Highway 93 near mile marker 31 when he saw a Buick sedan slowing down and its driver making eye contact “of a hostile nature” with him.

The Buick pulled onto the right shoulder of the road in front of the vehicle the trooper had stopped. The people in the in the vehicle that had been stopped said they didn't know the Buick's driver or why he would be pulling over. At that point, the Buick backed closer to the traffic stop.

The trooper became concerned about his safety and that of the people involved with the traffic stop.

When the trooper approached the Buick, the affidavit said the driver extended a piece of paper toward the trooper that read “probable cause.” The man lowered his passenger window about an inch so he could hear the trooper, but refused to communicate other than through papers that had printed text on them. He handed the trooper another paper that explained the First Amendment.

The trooper told the man he was in the middle of a traffic stop and asked him not to obstruct his law enforcement duties.

The trooper then walked back to the vehicle he had pulled over.

Moments later, the affidavit said, the man — wearing black gloves — got out of his vehicle and approached the trooper and the driver of the other vehicle. The trooper told him to stop, but he kept moving closer and raised his hands.

When the trooper grabbed his pepper spray, the man stepped away, then walked past the trooper and turned back toward him with his hands clenched and — standing about 6 feet away — began swinging and punching and kicking the air.

Due to safety concerns, the trooper told the people involved in the traffic stop to leave the area as quickly as possible. As the driver tried to get into her vehicle, the man disregarded the trooper’s commands and started toward her. The trooper grabbed him to keep him from retrieving a weapon or following the people who were trying to drive away. When he turned toward the trooper, the trooper sprayed him in the face with pepper spray.

The man refused a command to get on the ground and, when the trooper told him he was not allowed to get in his vehicle due to the possibility of a weapon inside, he spoke for the first time to say he had a knife.

After the trooper told him not to reach for it, the man allegedly ignored the commands and raised his right arm toward the trooper with a knife in his hand, at which point, the trooper forced him to the ground.

Darby Marshal Larry Rose arrived on the scene and, when the man continued to be physically combative, tased him after a warning. When the man continued to struggle, Rose tased him several times, seemingly without effect.

After several minutes, the officers were able to handcuff him. 

The affidavit said the man refused medical attention from an EMS crew and refused the trooper’s offer of water to rinse the pepper spray off his face. The trooper sustained a bloodied knee in the scuffle.

Bailey set bail at $250,000.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

“I’m pretty proud of the work that our scientists have accomplished,” RML’s Marshall Bloom told the Hamilton City Council earlier this week in announcing the laboratory would be adding a new $70 million, 40,000-square-foot vivarium for the animals used for research.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News