Today is Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020. Let's get caught up.
These non-virus headlines are in the news this morning: President Trump met with Judge Amy Coney Barrett as he weighs his choices for a replacement to Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court; Republicans and Democrats are arguing over hypocrisy; and Tropical Storm Beta makes landfall in Texas.
Read on for these stories, other top headlines, celebrity birthdays and more.
Trump interviews Barrett while weighing a high court nominee
President Donald Trump met with Judge Amy Coney Barrett at the White House as the conservative jurist emerged as a favorite to replace the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, the start of a monumental Senate confirmation fight over objections from Democrats it’s too close to the November election.
Trump said Monday he expects to announce his choice by week’s end, before the burial next week of Ginsburg, the court's liberal icon, at Arlington National Cemetery. Democrats but few Republicans argue that her replacement should be decided by the winner on Nov. 3.
The president told reporters he would interview other candidates and might meet with Judge Barbara Lagoa when he travels to Florida later this week. Read the full story here:
Tropical Storm Beta makes landfall, brings flooding to Texas
Tropical Storm Beta made landfall on the upper Texas coast late Monday night.
Beta will move inland over southeastern Texas through Wednesday and then over Louisiana and Mississippi Wednesday night through Friday.
Beta was the ninth named storm that made landfall in the continental U.S. this year. That tied a record set in 1916, according to Colorado State University hurricane researcher Phil Klotzbach. This was the first time a Greek letter named storm made landfall in the continental U.S. Forecasters ran out of traditional storm names on Friday, forcing the use of the Greek alphabet for only the second time since the 1950s. Read the full story here:
In other news today ...
- President Donald Trump, who prefers speaking to boisterous crowds, is set to give a prerecorded address to the U.N. General Assembly.
- A wildfire scorching its way through brush and timber from the mountains to the desert northeast of Los Angeles threatened more than 1,000 homes on Tuesday as crews across the West battled dozens of other major blazes.
- Wisconsin's attorney general announced Monday that he has selected a former Madison police chief to serve as an independent consultant for prosecutors weighing whether to file charges against the officer who shot Jacob Blake, a Black man who was left paralyzed from the waist down.
- Ellen DeGeneres used her opening monologue of the new season of her daytime talk show to address allegations of a toxic work environment, apologizing for things “that never should have happened.”
- Denny Hamlin has joined Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan to form a NASCAR team with Bubba Wallace as the driver, a high-profile pairing of a Black majority team owner and the only Black driver at NASCAR’s top level.
Click on the links below for full versions of these stories and scroll further for trending stories, a look at today in history and celebrity birthdays.
Today's national forecast
Tropical Storm Beta made landfall in Texas last night. Meanwhile, Hurricane Teddy continues north, bringing dangerous conditions to Nova Scotia. Watch now:
Image of the day
On this date
President Abraham Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, declaring all slaves in rebel states should be free as of January …
51 years ago, the San Francisco slugger joined Babe Ruth in the 600-home run club. Here's a look back at sports happenings on this date in history.
Happy birthday to ...
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!