Today is Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020. Let's get caught up.
These non-virus headlines are in the news this morning: Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have announced the death of their newborn son; Trump hits the road, Biden hits the rails in 2020 campaign; and former President Jimmy Carter celebrates his 96th birthday today.
Read on for these stories, other top headlines, celebrity birthdays and more.
Chrissy Teigen, John Legend lose baby after complications
Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have lost their child following pregnancy complications, the couple announced on their social media accounts.
"We are shocked and in the kind of deep pain you only hear about, the kind of pain we've never felt before," said the statement posted to each of their verified Twitter accounts. Read the full story here:
Biden, Trump snipe from road and rails after debate chaos
President Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden kept up their debate-stage sniping from the road and the rails, fighting for working-class voters in the Midwest while both parties — and the debate commission, too — sought to deal with the most chaotic presidential faceoff in memory. Read the full story here:
Former President Jimmy Carter celebrates 96th birthday
Former President Jimmy Carter marks his 96th birthday Thursday, the latest milestone for the longest lived of the 44 men to hold the highest American office.
Carter planned to celebrate at his home in Plains, Georgia, with his wife of 74 years, Rosalynn Carter, according to a spokeswoman for the Carter Center in Atlanta. Full story here:
In other news today ...
- A review by The Associated Press finds that while local governments have trimmed police budgets over the past four months, the cuts have been mostly modest.
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, who is recovering in Germany after being poisoned in Russia by a nerve agent, accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of being behind the attack in comments released Thursday.
- President Donald Trump's former campaign manager is stepping away from the reelection campaign days after he was hospitalized after Florida law enforcement officials said threatened to harm himself.
- Google will try to make a bigger splash in the smartphone market with a cheaper high-end model while it also aims to expand its presence on bigger screens with a new TV service.
- LeBron James finally got an easy Game 1 in the NBA Finals. A very easy one, at that. Anthony Davis scored 34 points, James had 25 points, 13 rebounds and nine assists and the Los Angeles Lakers rolled past the Miami Heat 116-98 on Wednesday night.
- MLB playoffs: Yanks sweep Indians 10-9 in draining game; Renfroe slam helps Rays sweep young Blue Jays; Astros sweep as Twins lose 18th straight in playoffs
- American cyclist Quinn Simmons was suspended by the Trek-Segafredo team on Thursday after posting antagonistic comments on social media in support of President Donald Trump.
Click on the links below for full versions of these stories and scroll further for trending stories, a look at today in history and celebrity birthdays.
Today's national forecast
Temperatures along the Pacific Coast will be 10-20 degrees hotter than normal, adding fuel for the wildfires. CNN Meteorologist Pedram Javaheri has the details when cooler air will arrive. Watch here:
Image of the day
On this date
In 2017, a gunman opened fire from a room at the Mandalay Bay casino hotel in Las Vegas on a crowd of 22,000 country music fans at a concert b…
Here's a look back at sports happenings on this date in history, Oct. 1.
Happy birthday to ...
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!