A 51-year-old Victor woman was arrested Saturday after she allegedly pointed two handguns at her husband and another man, fired one a few inches from the other man’s head.

Carmen C. Brown appeared Monday before Ravalli County Justice Jim Bailey on felony charges of assault with a weapon and criminal endangerment.

According to Ravalli County Deputy Attorney Angela Wetzsteon’s charging affidavit, a Ravalli County sheriff’s officer responded to a residence on Red Crow Road for a reported disturbance on June 8.

The sheriff’s sergeant met a man there who reported he and several friends, including Brown and her husband, had been drinking together after a friend’s funeral. In the early morning hours — following the consumption of “a lot of alcohol” — the man said he, Brown and her husband began to argue, the affidavit said.

The argument continued at Brown's home, and included a comment from Brown that "I should shoot both of you," according the affidavit. The man suggested what Brown could do if she pulled a gun on him, it said. 

Brown later left the room and returned with two handguns, according to the affidavit. Both men said she was pointing both guns at the man’s head who had told her what he would do if she pulled a gun on him. The affidavit said the man was pleading with Brown not to shoot him.

Brown continued to scream at them to get out of the house and then pointed the other gun at her husband’s stomach. Her husband left the room.

She then allegedly moved the handgun a few inches from the other man’s head and pulled the trigger. The handgun fired out an open French door, the affidavit said.

Her husband came running into the room to see what had happened as Brown continued to yell at them to leave the house.

Which they did.

When the sheriff’s officer contacted Brown, she was holding a small silver handgun when she answered the door. She put it down after being asked to do that.

The affidavit said Brown admitted to firing the handgun. She said she was trying to get the two men to leave the residence.

“Everyone involved was obviously intoxicated as observed by law enforcement,” the affidavit said.

Bailey set bail at $15,000.


Associate Editor

Reporter for The Ravalli Republic.