Photo Credit: dia karanouh / Alamy Stock Photo
- Total time (working + commuting): 46.3 hours per week
- Working time: 40.5 hours per week
- Commuting time: 5.8 hours per week
- Percentage of population leaving for work before 7AM: 51.3%
- Median household income: $99,789
- Unemployment rate: 5.3%
A suburb of Houston, Atascocita has been named one of the “Best Places to Retire” by U.S. News & World Report, citing the large number of recreational services. ‘Trade, transportation, and utilities’ and ‘professional and business services’ are the two leading industries in the Houston metropolitan area. However, Atascocita’s affluence—with a median household income of approximately $100,000—suggests that many low-wage earners would need to work longer hours to afford to live in the community. Coupled with more than half of the city’s workers leaving for work before 7 AM and the long commute time, many of Atascocita’s residents travel to Houston for work.